Thursday, June 7, 2012

Simple Things to do to Avoid a Back Injury


In my last post I discussed how to avoid constant back pain.  Today let’s discuss how everyday life may contribute to chronic back problems.   There are many simple things you can do to keep your back healthy and limber.

How are you sleeping?  Do you wake up in pain or feeling stiff?  Your bed could be a contributing factor to back pain.  If your bed does not support your back during over the eight hours of rest, you may be damaging your back.  Some of the questions you should ask yourself are: What type of sleeper are you?  Do you sleep on your back, side or stomach?  Many beds and pillows these days cater to the type of sleeper you are.  There are foam beds and mattresses that fill with air and can be adjusted to meet your needs.  It’s important to choose the right mattress.  Don’t forget – you spend one third of your life sleeping.  Be wise when making that decision and find one that works for you. 

What is the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?  Most people brush their teeth.  This may sound silly, but do you support your back when you brush?  I used to lean or hunch over the sink during my tooth-brushing ritual.  Sometimes I might lean onto my hand to prop myself up as I brushed away – until one day I felt pain racing through my back.  That did it for me - I now stand straight up and bend only to rinse.  It’s amazing the little changes you can make to effect the way your back feels.   In addition, LED Therapy is also a great way to treat minor back pain and ease those sore, tight muscles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment